We are in an era when data breach is a norm, and advertisers will track the activity of any device connected to the internet.
Such practices expose a business’s sensitive data that could easily fall into the wrong hands. For this reason, maintaining anonymity when surfing the internet is of utmost importance for businesses.
A proxy provides the anonymity you need and several benefits as well:
- It helps you reduce bandwidth by compressing traffic and caching files
- It allows your business to carry out web scraping for market intelligence successfully and access geo-blocked sites
- By using a proxy, you can open multiple accounts on sites that do not allow it. For instance, you can hold multiple social media accounts for marketing purposes
So, What Is a Proxy?
A proxy server acts as a gateway between a computer that makes a web request and the website that receives the request.
Rather than make a request directly from your computer to the web server, the request goes to the proxy server first, which forwards it to the web server. And the response from the web server follows the same route.
The proxy server hides your IP address. It comes with a different IP address which the web servers use to identify the device making the web request. This proxy IP address links to a different location, masking your real location. It guarantees high levels of anonymity.
Here are the different types of proxies you will find in the market. If you would like to learn about more proxy types, like static proxies, you can always dig in deeper on the web, but for now, let’s cover the basics.
This classifies proxies where several users get to use the same proxy in a bid to save on costs. The use or misuse of each user affects every other user’s experience. For this reason, they are highly prone to detection and low speeds.
Unlike shared proxies, dedicated proxies are a classification of proxies where a user gets to use a private proxy. They have better speed, and since the user controls its use, there is less risk that a web server will discover it.
Data Center Proxies
Data center proxy refers to a type of proxy server created artificially in a data center. It does not rely on an internet service provider or network server. Data center proxies provide high levels of speed and are accessible in large numbers.
In this case, a residential proxy connects to a real existing device, linked to a physical location. Internet service providers supply them, and this legitimacy makes them hard to detect, especially when web scraping.
Although Windows 10 automatically detects proxies, if you are using a business network, you will have to set it up.
There are two methods to go about it.
Using an Automatic Configuration Script
When using the automatic configuration script method, you need to take note of your script address. It resembles a URL address, and your vendor, network provider, or IT personnel will provide it.
Once you have your script address,
- Go to settings
- Click on Network and Internet
- Find Proxy and select it
- In the list of settings that appear, scroll down to the automatic proxy setup section. Activate the Automatically Detect Settings switch and the Use Setup Script switch.
- Type the script address in the space provided
- Save and close the settings window
Setting it Up Manually
To set your proxy,
- Go to Settings
- Select Network and Internet
- Find Proxy and click on it
- Go to the Manual Proxy Setup and activate Use a Proxy Server, ensure that the Use Setup Script switch is off
- In the provided address field, key in your IP address
- Go to the Port Field and key in your port number
- Save the changes and close the window
How to Turn Off the Use of Proxies for Windows 10
Turning off the proxy is equally easy. Again, go to Settings, and click Network and Internet. Go to the Proxy subsection and deactivate the Use Setup Script section. If you set it up manually, deactivate the Use a Proxy Server switch.
Note that switching your proxy off does not undo your settings. Windows 10 will reactivate them when you switch it back on.
Winding up, there are many ways you can benefit from using a proxy for business use. It provides high levels of anonymity, making it possible to access restricted websites or scrape data from sites without raising suspicion.
Ensure that you are using a quality dedicated proxy from a trusted vendor. When using a business network, you will need to follow the right procedure in setting up proxies for Windows 10.